Subject: Re: zoi gy. Good Morning! .gy.

From: "David Scriven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:08:36 -0000

coi rodo 

la xorxes. cusku di'e 

>I think {toldapma} will do it. 

Thank you! (toldapma) does seem useful here, although it brings to 
mind ARJ's criticism that the only way to say "old" in lojban is to 
say "un-young." I wonder about the subconscious effects of hearing 
the word for "curse" whenever someone is talking about "blessing." 
But this is really just a quibble.

As [email-masked] just pointed out to me, the English greeting 
'good morning" is actually extremely vague in terms of meaning and 
intent, despite its relative uniformity as a convention. It can be 
interpreted as a mere formality, or as an observation, or a wish, 
or a blessing, etc. It is the vagueness of the expression that does 
not translate well into lojban. So I suppose my original question 
was contaminated by "malglico."

Anyway, depending on my actual intent, it looks like I could use 
any of the following as rough equivalents of "good morning": 

toldapma cerni
toldapma ko xamgu cerni
le cerni cu xamgu
le ca djedi cu binxo xamgu 
pacna xamgu bo cerni
cerni xamgu
cerni ba xamgu
za'a cerni cu xamgu
salci cerni
funca ko
coi

...or substitute melbi for xamgu, etc. etc.

co'o mi'e deiv.