Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: zoi gy. Good Morning! .gy.

From: Thimble Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:46:25 -0500

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 06:33:56PM -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Thimble Smith wrote:
> >I know a culture where the standard greeting is "I de no?",
> >["Are you?"]. The response is, "Mi de, o" ["I am, uh-huh"].
> >Then the first person says, "I ko aki no?" ["You came here?"],
> >and the response is, "Mi ko aki". These phrases obviously aren't
> >literal questions and answers.
> 
> bau ma? .i mi sisku zoi xy. mi de ko aki .xy la gugl. i mi
> fakci fi lo ponjo .e lo lojbo .e lo me madjar.
> 
> co'omi'e pier.

Sorry, Pier. I've only looked at lojban for a little bit, and
haven't had the time to learn any vocabulary beyond

le gerku cu batci la tim.

:)

I think you're saying you looked in google for that phrase
and didn't find anything about it. It's a language spoken in
Suriname, South America, called a Saamaka töngö (the saramacan
language). The Saramacans were brought as slaves from Africa by
the Dutch, and escaped into the jungles of Suriname (formerly
Dutch Guiana). The language is a mixture of dutch, english, some
african languages, and portugese. I lived in Suriname for two
years when I was in high school (16-17 years old), and learned a
bit of the language.

http://www.sil.org/ethnologue/countries/Suri.html#SRM

Tim

-- 
__ ___ ___ ____ __
/ |/ /_ __/ __/ __ \/ / Tim Smith <[email-masked]>
/ /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__ MySQL AB, Development Team
/_/ /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/ Boone, NC USA
<___/ www.mysql.com