Re: [lojban-beginners] coi

.i .ua sai mi cilre su'o so'u lo jbobau nandu bo se bacru
.i mi gleki lo nu go'i

Or is there a canonical word for tongue-twister of which I'm unaware?

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Pierre Abbat <phma@phma.optus.nu> wrote:
On Friday 08 July 2011 14:28:00 kail. kinzyl. wrote:
> coi do
> .i mi'e kail.

coi .kail. mi'e .pier.

> So, I read (retention is another fact) through the Reference Grammar.
> I have to say that lojban sounds entirely interesting.  I plan on
> learning as much as I can.  I see personal potential in the language
> as a way of promoting expansion of thoughts and ideas.
>
> Of course I have many questions about the language, including some
> geeky, some conversational, but I will just start off with one for
> right now.
>
> la lerfu xy.

I think you mean "me'o xy. noi lerfu". "la lerfu" could be a pub named "The
Letter", or something like that.

> I love the sound of the 'x', but I think I have been pronouncing it
> differently than what....'proper' lojban dictates.  Looking at the
> pronunciation guide, I see that 'x' is listed as an unvoiced velar
> fricative.  I, however, find myself using an unvoiced uvular
> fricative; the unvoiced velar fricative is near impossible for me to
> pronounce without uvular usage.  Is this a big deal?  I know I read
> somewhere that the sounds per lerfu were a 'set' of sounds (i.e.
> trilled 'r' vs. untrilled 'r').  Anyone else use the uvular fricative
> over the velar?

I use both. I use the velar before "e" and "i" and after "n" and the uvular
elsewhere, or something like that. The combination "xr" I pronounce as a
double uvular-alveolar trill, and in "rirxrxrazdani" I maintain the double
trill through the "xrxr" while turning the voice on and off. (Hrazdan is a
river in Armenia.) Some exercises you might want to try:

maxri marxa (wheat crusher)
le xruki le ginxre xrixruba xu xrula cu xrani? (Was it the hybrid buckwheat
whose flower the turkey harmed?)
ri'erxi'a tirxyxi'a (hippopotamus zebra)

Pierre
--
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du
li ci su'i ze te'a mu bi'e vu'u ci