[lojban-beginners] Re: Greetings, and commands

Robin Lee Powell wrote:
On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 05:15:03PM -0600, Bodeen, Gabe wrote:

What are the recommended ways to express 1st- and 3rd-person commands?

Can you give English examples of the kinds of commands you'd like to construct?

"Let's go," or the ubiquitous "Vamonos" in Spanish are first person
commands.

doi mi'o ko cliva

or, more commonly,

.ei mi'o cliva

Or e'u, if you want to be really polite.

As for third person commands, I've only seen them in English in the
501 Verbs books, as "Let him go," which still isn't quite right.

They are very common in Turkish - I'm not sure what the Lojban equivalent is. Some are just requests, e.g. "paketli olsun" - literally "may it be packaged" and in practice "I'd like it to go." Others are wishes plus an implication that this is not just what I wish - the word would be a better place if this were to happen.

The other Robin

--
" Like these cutters, and hackers, who will take the wall of men, and picke quarrells."
- G. Pettie

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi