[lojban-beginners] Re: Rythmic cu

Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 09:11:12PM -0500, JJ121449@aol.com wrote:
> > When speaking, is cu rhythmically linked with the following selbri?
>
> No.  In some cases, as I understand it, it must *not* be stressed, and
> that is certainly your safest choice.

cmavo immediately before selbri may, as I understand it, *never* be stressed
(unless followed by a pause). Otherwise words can break apart --
{micuklaMULno} is "I have arrived" but {miCUklaMULno} is "I am completely
round" (though {miCU.klaMULno} is "I have arrived" again).

Though I'm not quite sure what "rhythmically linked" means -- if it means
"pronounced as an unstressed prefix" then that's completely fine --
{cuklaMULno} and {cu.klaMULno} mean exactly the same thing and are separated
as the two words {cu klamulno}.

So AIUI it's never wrong to pronounce {cu} as part of the following selbri
(e.g. without pausing for breath or changing intonation pattern) as long as
it's unstressed. Just as in a multi-syllable selbri, only the penultimate
may be stressed AIUI.

mu'omi'e filip.
--
filip.niutyn. <Philip.Newton@datenrevision.de>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.