[lojban-beginners] Re: A problem with cu

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 03:35:27PM +0100, lojban@65536.org wrote:
> In the last sentence I need {cu} because {lenu zo'e (selbri)
> zo'e ...} is always another selbri. But this selbri doesn't have
> x1, x2, ... like gismus. (?)

It has an x1. (If you used {du'u} instead of {nu} it would have an x1
and an x2.) When you put {le} before {nu}, you're taking the x1 from the
{nu} bridi.

Tanru including a whole {nu} phrase don't occur very often, but you must
remember that they are possible. I used one in my ongoing translation of
"The Cask of Amontillado":

Thus speaking, Fortunato possessed himself of my arm.
ni'o la fortunatos nu cusku di'u kei ponsygau ri le birka po'e mi

(The {kei} is in fact unnecessary, but it makes things clearer.)
--
mu'o mi'e rab.spir