[lojban-beginners] Re: A problem with cu

At 03:35 PM 2/12/03 +0100, lojban@65536.org wrote:
Let's see whether I understand it.

{le cilre cu xamgu} - learning is good

The learner is good

{le cilre xamgu} - (a tanru I cannot translate)

The learner-type-of-good-thing  (perhaps "the good learner")

{lenu mi cilre cu xamgu} - the event of my learning is good

Excellent! An alternative and more likely English equivalent would be "The lesson is/(was) good". I presume that a specific event of learning is a "lesson" in an example below.

{lenu mi cilre xamgu} - the event of my doing (tanru)

The event of my being a "good learner"

{lenu mi cilre zo'e cu xamgu} - the event of my learning something
   is good

In the last sentence I need {cu} because {lenu zo'e (selbri)
zo'e ...} is always another selbri.

Almost
{nu zo'e (selbri) zo'e ...[kei]} is a selbri.
Thus
{le (nu mi cilre zo'e [kei]) xamgu}
is
the learning-something-event type of good thing
or possibly
"good lesson"

 But this selbri doesn't have
x1, x2, ... like gismus. (?)

"nu broda [kei]" does have an x1.  The place structure is the simplistic
"x1 is an event of broda-ing". When you say "lenu broda [kei]" you are referring to the x1 of this selbri, since that is what x1 does.

At this point among the abstractors, I believe that only "ni" abstractions have an officially defined x2

mu'o mi'e .iens.
(Is {ki'e mu'o mi'e .iens.} something like {Thanks, ...}?)

Yes.

--
lojbab                                             lojbab@lojban.org
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA                    703-385-0273