From: "Philip Newton" <pnewton@gmx.de>
To: <lojban-beginners@chain.digitalkingdom.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 9:29 AM
Subject: [lojban-beginners] Re: Some translations

On 19 Feb 2003 at 9:08, Álvaro Vallejo wrote:

> mi nitcu cu fanva ti glivla la lojban
> (I need to translate into Lojban the following words, is the utterance in
> Lojban right?)

Slow down, cowboy!

I wonder why you "need" so many words right now -- wouldn't basic
grammar be better first? No offense.

FWIW, I'd probably say something more like {mi nitcu lenu fanva le vi
glivla la lojban}.

I also tried something like {mi nitcu lenu fanva ti noi glivla la
lojban}, but that treats {la lojban} as x2 of {glivla}. And if I add
{ge'u}, which I think ought to end the relative phrase {ti noi glivla},
jbofi'e doesn't like the sentence any more.

Hang on... *looks through ma'oste again* ku'o? Ah, that seems to work.

{mi nitcu lenu fanva ti noi glivla ku'o la lojban}, then.

(What's the difference between a "relative phrase" (terminated by
{ge'u}) and a "relative clause" (terminated by {ku'o}), then?)

I think most of the words below will surely be fu'ivla; certainly, I
believe most of the animals will be.

http://www.lojban.org/wiki/index.php/danlu%20baljutsi may be
interesting.

>     calf

bakni verba?

>     igloo

{iglu} has been proposed. Maybe {dinjrxiglu} if you want a fu'ivla?

>     lamb - lanme?

{lanme} is any sheep, so yes. Maybe {lanme verba} for more precision,
or {lanme cifnu} for a very young one?

>     piano - pipno?

.ie

>     shears

jinci

>     sheep - lanme? (see lamb)

.ie

>     shovel

canpa

>     sledge hammer

something with {mruli}, presumably.

>     trombone
>     trumpet

These are both kinds of {tabra}.

>     violin

A kind of {jgita}. {jgitrvioline}, perhaps?

>     x-acto

dakfrxeksakto ?

mu'o mi'e filip.
--
filip.niutyn. <Philip.Newton@datenrevision.de>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.

Este mensaje fue revisado por F-Secure Antivirus for Internet Mail