[lojban-beginners] Re: Some translations

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:29:44PM +0100, Philip Newton wrote:
> On 19 Feb 2003 at 9:08, ?lvaro Vallejo wrote:
>
> > mi nitcu cu fanva ti glivla la lojban
> > (I need to translate into Lojban the following words, is the utterance in
> > Lojban right?)
>
> Slow down, cowboy!

Indeed.

> I wonder why you "need" so many words right now -- wouldn't basic
> grammar be better first? No offense.
>
> FWIW, I'd probably say something more like {mi nitcu lenu fanva le vi
> glivla la lojban}.

Assuming one wanted to use glivla, which I'm not at all sure you want.

> I also tried something like {mi nitcu lenu fanva ti noi glivla la
> lojban}, but that treats {la lojban} as x2 of {glivla}. And if I add
> {ge'u}, which I think ought to end the relative phrase {ti noi glivla},
> jbofi'e doesn't like the sentence any more.
>
> Hang on... *looks through ma'oste again* ku'o? Ah, that seems to work.
>
> {mi nitcu lenu fanva ti noi glivla ku'o la lojban}, then.

Remember, boys and girls, vau is your *friend*.  vau can be used for
both kei and ku'o in most cases.

> (What's the difference between a "relative phrase" (terminated by
> {ge'u}) and a "relative clause" (terminated by {ku'o}), then?)

po is a relative phrase.  poi is a relative clause.  There is
essentially no similarity grammatically, because po takes a single sumti
while poi takes a bridi.

ge'u is almost never necessary.

> I think most of the words below will surely be fu'ivla; certainly, I
> believe most of the animals will be.

Absolutely.

> >     igloo
>
> {iglu} has been proposed.

<spits on ground>

Making up a type-4 fu'ivla for a dwelling used by *much* less than 1% of
the human population is insane.

> Maybe {dinjrxiglu} if you want a fu'ivla?

Or zdanrxiglu.

> >     sledge hammer
>
> something with {mruli}, presumably.

barda mruli

> >     trombone
> >     trumpet
>
> These are both kinds of {tabra}.

clani tabra and tabra, resp., IMO.

fu'ivla are probably better, though.

-Robin

--
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/    ***    I'm a *male* Robin.
.i le pamoi velru'e zo'u crepu le plibu taxfu