[lojban-beginners] Re: [lojban-beginners]

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 11:53:37AM -0800, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > li cimoi
> > "A sqare is a rectangle but not vice versa."
> > Good Lojban translations & even attempts at similar word order, both requested.
>
> You come up with words for 'square' and 'rectangle' and I'll give you
> the sentence.  8)
>
> Note that kurfa is *both*.

le'i kubykurfa cu klesi le'i kurfa .iku'i na go'i soi lenei

This sentence will require some explanation:

{kubli} refers to all regular polygons and polyhedra, but happens to
mean "cube" by default. {kurfa} refers to all right-angled shapes and
happens to be in two dimensions by default. The only two-dimensional
shape that is both {kurfa} and {kubli} is a square, so I'd say that the
lujvo {kubykurfa} is apt for "square".

(A {kubli kurfa} could be a cube or a tesseract or whatever, but lujvo
have one defined meaning.)

So. A literal translation would be "The set of regular-rectangles is a
class/subset of the set of rectangles. However, it is false that the
previous statement remains true when its places are switched."

{soi lenei} is an idiom for "vice versa" - it switches the first place
of the bridi with another place. {soi vo'a} is probably more
commonly used, but I think it's important to get used to using {lenei}.
One day you may use {soi} inside an abstraction, in which case {lenei}
will grab a sumti from inside the abstraction while {vo'a} grabs one
from outside, and {lenei} is probably what you want.

--
mu'o mi'e rab.spir