[lojban-beginners] Re: (no subject)

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 03:26:59PM -0600, Daniel E Huston wrote:
> Although Lojban allows one to phrase statements independent of context--
> so far-- as a stage magician I would still use context. In fact, that's
> a key part of how I would do illusions. The human brain perceives
> context as well as detail. That's what makes the illusionist's art
> possible. I would argue that even though Lojban may be context-free (&
> I'm not convinced that it is), Lojban speakers are not!

Er, the rules of the syntax are (a close approximation of) context-free,
in a strict computer theoretic way. That is the only sense in which it
is context-free. You're quite right, to understand the meaning of
utterances, you need context.

--
Jay Kominek <jkominek@miranda.org>
They may be the laws of physics,