Re: [lojban-beginners] Re: [lojban] A suggestion for the Lojban names of weekdays and months.

On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 06:39:28 karis. wrote:
> Systems for days of the week (that I can remember):
>
> Continents, in order as the sun travels and I think Wednesday was Africa
>
> Colors, ie.six divisions color wheel following the rainbow starting with
> Thursday and ending on Tuesday. Wednesday is color day.
>
> In both systems Wednesday was picked as the cusp day between weeks because
> none of us could think of a religion our group that made it central.
>
> The goal of the discussion was how to specify days of the week as close to
> culturally neutral as possible. In the end we decided these systems and
> others were welcome as long as users of less common ones were willing to
> explain.

I know of three systems in use in Lojban:
*nondei, pavdei, reldei, cibdei, vondei, mumdei, xavdei, zeldei. The 0th and
7th are synonyms. The problem with this is that people who number the days of
the week don't all agree on which day gets which number, and in some languages
(Slavic and Hungarian, which borrowed some days from Slavic), the week starts
on Monday but Wednesday is the middle.

*soldei, lurdei, fagdei, jaudje, mudydei, jimdei, derdei. These are based on
Japanese and Korean; the Chinese are sure to be familiar with them, as the
Japanese days are written in kanji. The first two are also obvious to speakers
of many Germanic and Romance languages. As far as I know, all
peoples/languages that assign heavenly bodies, gods, or elements to days agree
on which day is the day of the Moon.

*xundei, najdei, peldei, ri'odje, cicnydei, bladei, zirdei. As far as I know,
no one but Lojbanists names days of the week for colors.

In both the soldei system and the xundei system, one can make up nonexistent
weekdays, such as vardei (air is a Greek but not Chinese element), rusydei,
nukydei, or labdei. Also in both systems, Wednesday begins with a CVV rafsi.

I recommend using the soldei system if you want something familiar to a large
fraction of the world population, or the xundei system if you want something
equally unfamiliar to all. I do not recommend using the nondei system, because
it is likely that someone will misinterpret it.

As to months, the Gregorian calendar, which is the one in widest use, is the
fourth version of the Roman calendar. The current names of the months are:
janvari, febvari, martime, prilime, magjome, junxame, julzeme, .avgusto,
septebe, .oktobe, novmebe, dekmere. There were some former names like "madjio"
which were invalidated by a phonotactic ruling of the BPFK. The same month
names are used in the Julian calendar; the Pompilian and Romulan calendars,
and the Julian before Augustus, used some now-obsolete month names. If you
want to use an unrelated calendar with different month names, make up Lojban
words for them.

Pierre
--
I believe in Yellow when I'm in Sweden and in Black when I'm in Wales.