[lojban-beginners] Why do selbri imply place structure?

I don't know a whole lot about lojban, but it seems to me that it would be difficult to learn simply because each selbri has its own implied place structures.  Is there no way to encode place structure by using a particle or something without reducing grammatical ambiguity?  Why do it this way instead of something that doesn't require such intense memorization of place structures?  Am I missing something important here?