Re: [lojban-beginners] Re: xorlo and the sumti gerku

Le mardi 3 octobre 2017 01:03:13 UTC, stevo a écrit :
pi re loi mu gerku :
Quantity 0.2 of a part of one of groups that consists of dogs that are five
(It is one dog.)

Why does this not also mean an arbitrary group of parts of the group of five dogs, such as all their heads or legs?

stevo

Depending on the interpretation of combination of {gerku} and {si'e}, it can mean heads or tails of dogs, but I don't think that interpretation reflects a usual meaning of {gerku} and {si'e}.

{pi PA SUMTI} is defined as {lo pi PA si'e be pa me SUMTI}. According to usual meaning of {si'e}, the referant of x1 of {pi PA si'e} should have the same property as the referent of x2 of {pi PA si'e}, though that interpretation is not officially declared. As shown in the example {pi re lo mu gerku}, some selbrisni like {gerku} do not fit the usual meaning of {si'e} because a part of dog is not a dog in usual meaning.

In the case of {pi re loi mu gerku}, which is developed as {lo pi re si'e be pa me lo gunma be lo mu gerku}, x2 of {pi re si'e} refers to a collective group of the referent of {gerku} in the meaning of xorlo, and then the referent of x2 has the property of {gerku}. Therefore, according to the usual meaning of {si'e}, x1 of {pi re si'e} should have the property of {gerku}. However, according to the usual meaning of {gerku}, a head or a tail of {gerku} does not have the property of {gerku}. In order to satisfy the usual meaning of both, x1 of {pi re si'e} should be one dog.

mu'o