Re: [lojban-beginners] Can one be fluent in Lojban in the same way as other languages?

On Sunday, 9 September 2018 18.52.40 EDT gryphkat@gmail.com wrote:
> It certainly is a very few people have achieved this. I suspect it takes
> less time put in with traditional languages, actually.

I think it is more difficult to be fluent in Lojban because the vocabulary is
not as large. One part of fluency, which is important in a language with a
small vocabulary, is making up words on the fly. My first two languages are
English and French; if I'm speaking Spanish and I don't know the word for
something, I can borrow a word from French, or coin one from Latin roots that
I know from English and French words, and have a high probability of being
understood or even getting the right word. If I'm talking Lojban with, say, a
Japanese, and I don't know the word for something, I could make up a lujvo,
which has some chance of being understood, or I could make up a fu'ivla, which
has very little chance of being understood, since the only language we have in
common is Lojban. The lack of vocabulary for some things means that more time
will be spent making up words for those things, resulting in less fluency.

Pierre
--
Jews use a lunisolar calendar; Muslims use a solely lunar calendar.