RE:[lojban] Request for grammar clarifications

At 15:31 -0400 30/5/01, pycyn@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 5/30/2001 10:00:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
robin@BILKENT.EDU.TR writes:

ro cevni du la .alax." = "Every god is identical with Allah".

But does this really capture the sense of "la ilahi il'allah" (which I
assume
it is a translation of)?

Well, the formula looks to be negative ("la"), and the usual trat is "There
is no God but Allah" so it might literally be {no da poi na du la .allax. cu
cevni}, which, unfortunately, allows for atheism, so it is not right either
-- for so does the cowan's version. As I was saying about quantifiers, ...
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
And so does the usual E trat, which seems to me to be equivalent to 'If there is a God, it is Allah', and my limited knowledge of Arabic suggests that the 'no God' possibility is technically there as well, though eliminated by the second part (Mohammed is the messenger of Allah).
--
Sincerely,
Robert A. McIvor