[lojban] Re: Chinese, English and Spanish etymology of Lojban

On Tuesday 01 April 2008 17:42, Jorge Llambías wrote:
> I think some of the "Spanish" source words were actually Portuguese.

Any word in which "o" changed to "ue" in Spanish, this was undone, so that
they would make more sense to speakers of other Romance languages. This often
coincides with the Portuguese word, but not always.

> sluni onion [por]
> FIXIT missing
>
> Very mysterious.

Puerro, which is leek, not onion. Onion is cebolla.

> spoja explode [eksplo]
> explotar "to exploit"
> FIXIT correct transcription "eksplot"
>
> Although "to exploit" is one of its meanings, it does also mean "to
> explode".

I've been wondering about that. I've heard the word used both ways, and
wondered why they are conflated.

Pierre