Re: grammar

[*second* try at posting]

	Date: Sun, 10 Dec 89 16:50:19 EST
	From: "Keith F. Lynch" <KFL%AI.AI.MIT.EDU@MINTAKA.lcs.mit.edu>
	Subject: grammar
	>> mi gerna ca srera ki'u mi cnino la lojban .i'o
	> I didn't get beyond "I am a grammar...".
	Does "mi gerna" mean "my grammar" (my intended meaning) or "I am a

It means "I am a grammar...".  "lemi gerna" means "my grammar".
Perhaps you would like to say something like, "mi srera lemi gerna..."
==> "I err in my grammar...".

	The definition, in the sorted gismu list, is "grammar of language...
	for structure...".  So perhaps I really claimed to be a *language*!

That would be, "mi bangu."

The definition of gerna given in lesson 1 is, "x1 is the correct
grammar in language x2 for structure x3".

	So until I
	hear otherwise, I'm making the assumption that the x1 place is left
	out on *all* of the definitions, and is always the actor.

It *is* the actor, but in a broader sense than you're taking the term.
The actor of klama is that which comes/goes--i.e., the comer/goer.
The actor of blanu is that which "blues"--i.e., the blue thing.  The
actor of gerna is that which "grammars".  lojban takes this to be the
grammar itself.  To you it seems obvious that a grammar must have a
user (a person, a program, etc.).  I see a grammar as a stateless
relation (e.g., between terminals, non-terminals, etc.) that stands in
no need of such.

	That is why I'm assuming that "mi gerna" means "my grammar".
Possesives are discussed in lesson 5.

.eirik. tideman.

"la simon. cu cusku lu ko zutse ledo skami li'u"