[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: CHANGE TO GISMU BASELINE (agree)
- To: snark.UU.NET!lojban-list
- Subject: Re: CHANGE TO GISMU BASELINE (agree)
- From: wetblu!uunet!math.ucla.edu!jimc
- Date: Sun, 27 May 90 11:27:54 -0700
- In-reply-to: Your message of "Thu, 24 May 90 11:58:48 EDT." <m0hYKaH-0001G7C@marob.masa.com>
> Date: Thu, 24 May 90 11:58:48 EDT
> To: lojban-list%snark@uunet.UU.NET
> From: firstname.lastname@example.org (John Cowan)
> Subject: PROPOSED CHANGE TO GISMU BASELINE -- PLEASE READ & RESPOND!
> 1) Change the keyword for "tanru" from "metaphor" to "open compound".
> 2) Change the keyword for "lujvo" from "compound bridi" to "closed compound".
I agree. JCB used the term "metaphor" from the beginning, but I have
always found this terminology confusing. I have always felt a clear
distinction between a tanru and a "true metaphor", as in "chick" to
mean "nubile woman" (from the recent "bad writing" sample); for me,
this distinction is made more strong by the rules I claim to be able to
see and use in existing lujvo, so as to determine uniquely their
meanings and to make new tanru and unofficial lujvo that listeners
supposedly can understand.
-- Jim Carter