Terms about Making

I wrote:

> I don't understand the distinction between making something
> that meets description W from material that meets description
> Y, and causing something that meets description Y to meet
> description W which it didn't meet before.

Bob LeChevalier responded:

> You didn't give a reference; should I presume you are
> asking about the difference between 'zbasu' 'x1
> makes/assembles/builds x2 from materials x3' and 'rinka'
> 'x1 physically causes x2 (under conditions x3)', and
> possibly 'galfi' 'x1 modifies x2 into x3 by doing/being x4'

I was responding to a mention you had made, Bob, of the technical
improvements in Lojban over Institute Loglan.  I'm not chasing
down the exact text, but the gist of it was you (and I guess the
other improvers) held that old "madzo" (X makes Y from W)
had more than one meaning and needed to be split up.  My point
was it seemed fine to me, interpreted as 'galfi' without x4.

Anyway, the new terms look pretty good.  Assembly is more
specific than making and so something like 'zbasu' is needed.
At first blush, I would say leave the conditions out of 'rinka';
can't you put conditions on any event?  Similarly for x4 in
'galfi' -- have a separate predicate for the means or method
of achieving a result.  x2 happens by means of x1.
Maybe.