Re: Chemical elements proposal

> Date:  Tue, 23 Apr 91 14:12:56 EDT
> To:  lojban-list@snark.thyrsus.com
> From:  cbmvax!snark.thyrsus.com!cowan@uunet.UU.NET (John Cowan)
> Subject:  Chemical elements proposal (longish)

Elements that should have gismu:
	Al  Aluminum	Common and important construction material
	Mg  Magnesium	Construction material; important human nutrient
	P   Phosphorus	Important human nutrient
	Ca  Calcium	Important human nutrient; main ingredient in many rocks
	Si  Silicon	Major technological material; major rock ingredient
	K   Potassium	Important human nutrient (biologically contrast to Na)
	Ti  Titanium	Construction material, use likely to increase in future

Elements that I'm surprised to see on the list:
	Cr  romge	Chromed tailfins aren't so important any more.  See
			also Ni.
	Hg  margu	Though known to the ancients, I couldn't justify giving
			it space in a limited list.
	Ne  navni	Most advertising signs don't even contain neon
	Ni  nikle	Marginal; important alloying element but people don't
			come in contact with it in identifiable form, except
			in U.S. coinage (which has little Ni anyway, these
			days)
	Zn  zinki	See Ni.  Brass is more identifiable than zinc.

No complaints about:
	Ag  Au  C  Cl  Cu  Fe  H  N  Na  O  Pb  S  Sn

		-- jimc