Re: [lojban] taking action

la .krtis.

> How do you think that we can best organize and advertise ongoing projects? What implementation are you envisioning?

I think the website should be used to advertise the main / endorsed projects of Lojban.

I think a web-based project-management tool should be used to organise projects centrally.

Phabricator is a free, open source project-management tool which has been mentioned in the mailing list in the past.

It was already used by existing projects, such as Lojban Speech Recognition Tool mentioned June last year - what happened to that?

We could have http://projects.lojban.org set up with a Phabricator instance that anyone can use for all Lojban projects.

It can also be used to review content, which I think is quite important so that teams can keep things organised, centralised and official. See below about my website ideas. This would also be really useful for proofreading Lojban works and providing feedback directly on the relevant lines. Phabricator can also be integrated with Git so it can share hosting with GitHub, thus it could also host the CLL project etc..

I suggest Phabricator because I use it for managing my development of a game that I will be publishing with Lojban as an available language, so I have found it to be good, but I welcome alternative suggestions.

la .altair.

>  lojban's overall web presence is extremely confusing. I just can't easily figure out which sites I'm supposed to read, which are archival, which are redundant, which are talking about older versions, etc.

I agree the web presence is confusing. To me, this is because the main website appears, to me, to be very disorganised.

This is probably a side-effect of anyone being able to add anything to the main site wiki

I want to reorganise things but I don't want to break the status quo of the wiki.

I personally think a smaller well-organised website with only official content should be developed. Every change should be code-reviewed (as above) and translated into all target languages, so that no language version of the site "falls behind" in translations.

The current wiki website could be moved to http://wiki.lojban.org or something like that, then linked to by the main website with the caveat that it's not official content.

In terms of demographics, we could really expand the audience by ensuring all Lojban.org official content stays very translated. Just look at how old/different this is, compared to the English page: https://mw.lojban.org/index.php?title=Lojban&setlang=de

I know this is proposing a lot of work so I offer my help here (I develop websites). I have drafted up the beginnings of a website and have been looking into translation methodologies - neither of these are ready to show yet but, if the community is interested in this, I would be happy to work with a website team to organise this for the future.

I will also help with (reasonable) hosting costs, if that helps.

mi'e la.timoteios.

How do you think that we can best organize and advertise ongoing projects? What implementation are you envisioning?

___

As a particular note, I would add that if a reward system dried up, then interest in helping a project can basically only dry up to the point at where we currently are. In a sense, we are at our lowest, which has the advantage that the inly direction from here is up (or, at least, not down). We have a great opportunity to innovate and we should not fear worst-case scenarios because we are almost there already in many ways. Moreover, for this specific concern, developing investment in the outcome of a project by initially rewarding participation monetarily may actually motivate a sustained interest in its progress regardless of the continuation of that monetary reward. But I do see the advantages in making small "thank you"-note-like gifts and larger-scale, less guaranteed, competitive reward systems (like a Nobel Prize).