Re: [lojban] Re: CLL and modern Lojban

On 10/11/2017 15:35, Michael Turniansky wrote:

  • "Voyant l'éléphant prisonnier des braconniers, il prit sa défense" => Here the word "défense" has multiple meanings

  I am not a francophone, and Google translate was at best unclear.  I'm guessing the polysemy here is:
fau lo nu ga'a mi zerkalte lo xanto kei ku mi badgau (lo xanto lo zerkalte se pi'o lo celxa'i mu'a)
vs.
fau lo nu ga'a mi zerkalte lo xanto kei ku mi badgau (lo'i xanto lo nu cmaze'a lo ka klani)

 (which, if true, means the same polysemy exists in lojban, although I could have used "...stogau lo ni xanto",  I suppose, in the second case.)

           --gejyspa

In French, the word «défense» exhibits polysemy; in this case it can be interpreted as "tusk" and so the sentence would mean "… and he took its tusk". However that seems contextually less likely that "he took its defense" as one would have expected the word "défense"/tusk to be in the plural, unless it is known that elephant had only one tusk.

—Ilmen.