Re: [lojban] use-mention errors

Thanks for the correction.

stevo

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 8:14 AM, Michael Turniansky <mturniansky@gmail.com> wrote:
  I didn't say Hebrew, I said "Yeshivish" for a reason.  Pierre is right.  Most of the non-English in that video was Aramaic (with an American-accented Ashkenazi pronunciation).  The Talmud is made up of two parts, Mishnah (which is Hebrew, although a later Hebrew than Biblical Hebrew, c. 100 CE), and Gemorah (around 200-400 years later), written in Aramaic (Babylonian dialect).  Although of course the Bible is often quoted, in its original Biblical Hebrew.  And sprinkled throughout his (mostly English) Yeshivish is Yiddish, such as vaiter ("next, going on...") akin to the German weiter) or rabOSai (gentlemen) from the Hebrew raboTAI , etc.
                            --gejyspa

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 10:19 PM, Pierre Abbat <phma@bezitopo.org> wrote:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:30:09 PM EST MorphemeAddict wrote:
> I looked up all the words in your Lojban, but I can't quite figure out the
> distinction you're making.

"la'e lu <phrase> li'u" refers to a book or the like whose title is "phrase".

> The Hebrew in the video was fun to listen to, too. (I don't understand it,
> either.)

It sounds to me like an American accent on Ashkenazi pronunciation. My
pronunciation is rather different, and I have some trouble understanding
Ashkenazi. But I heard "zabne" or some such "zbn" word in a passage relating
to buying/selling; that word is Aramaic. "Akum" is a Hebrew acronym meaning
"Worship(er) of Stars and Constellations". Like "avoda" (which is the first
word in the acronym), it begins with ayin, which I pronounce. כרע קרע קרא are
all different as I pronounce them.

Pierre
--
I believe in Yellow when I'm in Sweden and in Black when I'm in Wales.