Re: [lojban] Re: capybara

No, and I think that has something to do with the case being comparable to a medial consonant cluster ([awra]) rather than a final one ([awr]). I also pronounce Kyle and wire as two syllables, I think (maybe a full syllable and a demisyllable?), but Kylie and wiry as two and three, respectively.

On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:09:55 PM UTC-4, Pierre Abbat wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 21.52.40 EDT xabju wrote:
> Is it just me, or are syllables with both a closing diphthong and a final
> sonorant (especially a rhotic) hard to pronounce and mildly ugly-sounding?
> I have a hard time pronouncing /ʒaʊr/ as anything but [ʒawər], which I
> guess is okay, since the latter doesn't seem to misparse. Still, I'll vote
> against jaurxarju and for tciuiro.

Do you have the same problem when the /r/ is followed by a vowel, as in
"restaurar"? (Though it's a tap, not a trill, in this word.)

Pierre

--
Don't buy a French car in Holland. It may be a citroen.