Re: [lojban] Re: capybara

On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 22.16.39 EDT xabju wrote:
> No, and I think that has something to do with the case being comparable to
> a medial consonant cluster ([awra]) rather than a final one ([awr]). I also
> pronounce *Kyle* and *wire* as two syllables, I think (maybe a full
> syllable and a demisyllable?), but *Kylie* and *wiry* as two and three,
> respectively.

Neither "wire" nor "wiry" has [r], which is not common in English.
Phonemically "wire" has one syllable, /waiɹ/, but phonetically it has two,
similar to the Hebrew patach gnuvah.

In Lojban, I usually pronounce <r> as [r] or [ɾ]. Unlike Spanish, there is no
distinction between these two between vowels in Lojban, and I normally say
[ɾ]. I use the syllabic version of [ɹ] when the <r> is syllabic, except next
instead.

Pierre

--
When a barnacle settles down, its brain disintegrates.
Já não percebe nada, já não percebe nada.