Re: [lojban] Wrote my first twenty definitions on Jbovlaste — looking to have them reviewed.

On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 22.10.04 EDT xabju wrote:
> Hello, all,
>
> I'm still a rank beginner at Lojban, but I noticed some lexical gaps and
> got to work filling them today. I've written twenty definitions
> <http://jbovlaste.lojban.org/personal/Xabju?extra=defs> on Jbovlaste so
> far, but they're generally far from perfect. I'm wondering if any of you
> could look them over and help me revise them. I will defer to the experts.
>
> In particular, I'm concerned I haven't gotten the place structures right.
> At the superficial level, I haven't been sure when to use simple variables
> like "x1", "x2", etc., and when to use compound ones like "m2=z3", etc.
> (Actually, I don't quite have the vocabulary to say what the problems are.
> What do you call an "x1" thingy? A variable? A place abbreviation? A slot
> name?) The instructions on the site were not so clear to me. I'm also not
> sure I've gotten the underlying semantics and syntax right for a few.

I wouldn't use "cunso" for what you've called "cunrafsi", as they weren't
assigned randomly.

For "mudga'a", the glosses "pole" and "staff" don't specify wood. They need
senses, as "pole" can also mean "jedji'o" (the poles of the Earth) and "staff"
has other meanings, but cylindrical poles and staffs can be metal. Flagpoles,
which are often metal, can be called staffs. Also, I wouldn't put "tree;
plant" as a place keyword, because someone looking for "tree; plant" most
likely wants "tricu". If a place keyword is likely to be the same for several
words, you probably want to omit it.

"UUTC" I would write "uudj". Several Slavic languages devoice final consonants,
but as soon as you add a case ending with a vowel, they're no longer final and
are voiced. Lojban already conflates "ż" and "ź"; there's no need to further
conflate them with "sz" and "ś" just because they're at the end of a word.

"snitc" needs explanation. Is snitch a disease, a game, or what?

Pierre
--
The Black Garden on the Mountain is not on the Black Mountain.