[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [lojban] Wrote my first twenty definitions on Jbovlaste — looking to have them reviewed.



Hi Pierre,

Thanks for your feedback! snitc was a joke entry, which I somewhat regret posting (it was late, my judgment wasn't good). I was thinking of the much-hyped upcoming Death Grips album Year of the Snitch, but the word could also be used when you need to call your English-speaking interlocutor a snitch in a way they'll immediately understand.

I used cunso in cunrafsi because the note on sutysisku has the gloss "arbitrary", which is the sense I was going for. What would you suggest instead?

Those glosses for mudga'a were absentminded mistakes. Thank you for catching them. They now read as I think they should: "wooden cane", "wooden pole", "wooden staff", "wooden stick". I've changed the x2 keyword to "wood source; tree(s)". Is that alright?

Your point is taken on UUTC. My thinking was that it would be unfair to force speakers of final-obstruent-devoicing languages to distinguish final voiced consonants in pausa (as Lojban mandates), but I understand why many may prefer uudj. The bigger question, for me, is whether it's right to put monosyllabic cmevla in all caps. It looks very odd, but I presume that most speakers stress these words when they say them aloud. What do you think?

Also, what do you think of my most recent lujvo entries? Again, I'm not as worried about the cmevla, unnecessary as some of them may be.

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 4:43:15 PM UTC-4, Pierre Abbat wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 22.10.04 EDT xabju wrote:
> Hello, all,
>
> I'm still a rank beginner at Lojban, but I noticed some lexical gaps and
> got to work filling them today. I've written twenty definitions
> <http://jbovlaste.lojban.org/personal/Xabju?extra=defs> on Jbovlaste so
> far, but they're generally far from perfect. I'm wondering if any of you
> could look them over and help me revise them. I will defer to the experts.
>
> In particular, I'm concerned I haven't gotten the place structures right.
> At the superficial level, I haven't been sure when to use simple variables
> like "x1", "x2", etc., and when to use compound ones like "m2=z3", etc.
> (Actually, I don't quite have the vocabulary to say what the problems are.
> What do you call an "x1" thingy? A variable? A place abbreviation? A slot
> name?) The instructions on the site were not so clear to me. I'm also not
> sure I've gotten the underlying semantics and syntax right for a few.

I wouldn't use "cunso" for what you've called "cunrafsi", as they weren't
assigned randomly.  

For "mudga'a", the glosses "pole" and "staff" don't specify wood. They need
senses, as "pole" can also mean "jedji'o" (the poles of the Earth) and "staff"
has other meanings, but cylindrical poles and staffs can be metal. Flagpoles,
which are often metal, can be called staffs. Also, I wouldn't put "tree;
plant" as a place keyword, because someone looking for "tree; plant" most
likely wants "tricu". If a place keyword is likely to be the same for several
words, you probably want to omit it.

"UUTC" I would write "uudj". Several Slavic languages devoice final consonants,
but as soon as you add a case ending with a vowel, they're no longer final and
are voiced. Lojban already conflates "ż" and "ź"; there's no need to further
conflate them with "sz" and "ś" just because they're at the end of a word.

"snitc" needs explanation. Is snitch a disease, a game, or what?

Pierre
--
The Black Garden on the Mountain is not on the Black Mountain.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "lojban" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to lojban+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to lojban@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/lojban.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.