Re: [lojban] What's going with CloudFlare and caching and such.

On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 07:58:58AM -0500, Mike S. wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 1:29 AM Robin Lee Powell
> <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org> wrote:
>
> > Some of you have noticed problems with dynamic content on
> > lojban.org now that we've started using CloudFlare.  I haven't
> > been able to figure out how to fix this, so here's what's going
> > on; maybe somebody else will have ideas.
> >
> > So the goal of CloudFlare, primarily, was to make it so that if
> > my server went down, the site would be basically fine.  This we
> > have acheived.
> >

> Judging from what I saw during the last outage, I believe
> Cloudflare is caching only pages that have been requested at least
> once. Assuming I am right about that, I don't know if there is a
> way to make Cloudflare cache the whole site without clicking
> through every page on the Wiki.  By the way, I don't care about
> this issue since the site is up most of the time anyway, but since
> the whole point of the exercise is to cache pages and that doesn't
> necessarily happen, I thought I'd mention it!

Yeah, you're absolutely right about that.  For me the point is to
make it so that the *basics* are up no matter what.

The specific complaints that I was receiving were about that the
site being down *entirely* sends a message to people unfamiliar with
the projec that it's dead.  Which is not unreasonable: if I'd just
heard about a super-nerdy language and I went to the website and it
was down, I would in fact assume that the project was dead,
personally.

> At any rate, your bypass rule for talk pages seems to be working okay.
> Since we don't know what the problem is, I suggest the following for a temp
> fix --  Please add the following rules in the proper location:
>
> *lojban.org/*LFK*          Cache Level: Bypass
> *lojban.org/*[bypasscache]*          Cache Level: Bypass
>
> The first line will help the new committee work on their pages.  The second
> line will allow a person to work on an arbitrary page without the cache.
> When the page is finished, it can then be moved to the correct location.
>
> I *believe* these rules will be sufficient for the time being and get you
> off the hook.  Your help is very much appreciated!.

I'm actually wondering if we might want to go the other way:
explicitely cache the very static stuff (javascript, css, etc) and
then list specific pages that we don't mind caching long-term, like
the front page.