Re: [lojban] Re: {zo'e}

coi

On 2021-01-06 13:04, scope845hlang343jbo@icebubble.org wrote:
If we use your interpretation, then {mi viska zo'e} could mean {mi viska
lo nanmu} but could not mean {mi viska lo na nanmu}.  It seems, to me,
that {lo na nanmu} would be a perfectly legitimate meaning for {zo'e}.

My interpretation wouldn't forbid {lo na nanmu} as a referent for {zo'e}. It forbids {no da (poi whatever)} as a referent for zo'e, because such a referent makes the (outer) bridi negative.

  {mi viska lo na nanmu} is an affirmative statement, that I see something that satisfies (the negative) {na nanmu}.

On the other hand

  {mi viska no (da poi) nanmu} is a negative statement, that I do not see anything that satisfies (the affirmative) {nanmu}.

The crucial difference is that in the former, I do say I'm seeing something, and that thing is identified by not being a {nanmu}; whereas in the latter I am merely denying seeing any {nanmu}. In other words, the latter is a claim of _not seeing_, versus the former being a claim of _seeing_.

See https://lojban.org/publications/cll/cll_v1.1_xhtml-section-chunks/section-negation-boundaries.html#example-random-id-fpeW in particular the paragraph below example 16.70 explaining that {no da} is replaced with {naku su'o da}.

Now I hope my reason for saying {no da (poi whatever)} can't be what {zo'e} stands for is clear: if (implicit) {zo'e} can stand for {noda}, then a claim such as {mi viska (zo'e)} could actually mean that I _don't_ see! And to me, that is totally bonkers.

zo do'e ki'a

Many cmavo ending in {o'e} are 'elliptical' in Lojban (with the egregious exception of {.o'e} itself). {do'e} is the elliptical modal, which stands for some BAI/fi'o.

.i mi'e la tsani mu'o