Re: [lojban] Re: {zo'e}

On 1/13/21 5:16 PM, scope845hlang343jbo@icebubble.org wrote:
Jacob Thomas Errington <jake@mail.jerrington.me> writes:

  {mi viska lo na nanmu} is an affirmative statement, that I see
something that satisfies (the negative) {na nanmu}.
By your interpretation, would the following two bridi mean the same
thing?

  .i mi viska lo na nanmu

  .i mi viska lo na'e nanmu

They'd both be saying that you see something other than a man.

But they don't mean the same thing.  {lo na nanmu} is not the same as {lo na'e nanmu}.  {lo na nanmu} is a thing that doesn't {nanmu}.  But {na'e} is a *scalar* negator, not a logical one.  It implies some sort of scale of {nanmu}itude (lo ni nanmu), and says that what you're seeing is on the negative side of it.  Exactly what that would mean I'm not sure I could say for certain.  Is the scale {nanmu}↔{ninmu}?  In that case, a woman would be {lo na'e nanmu} as well as {lo na nanmu}, but a rock is {lo na nanmu} but not {lo na'e nanmu}.  But the scale here is not obvious.

~mark