Re: [jboske] Re: [lojban] tautologies

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Jorge Llambias wrote:

> la xod cusku di'e
>
> >Are you abstracting out causality and concluding that the above sentence
> >should mean that you buy caused by some aspect of the price?
>
> Sorry, I don't understand your question. I'm comparing these
> two sentences:
>
> (1) fi'o jdima fe'u vecnu je'u ta mi
> (2) bai vecnu je'u ta mi
>
> which differ only in the so called "modal".
>
> Since it is clear that (2) does not mean "I buy it
> whoever forces me", I don't understand why (1) would
> mean something like "I buy it whatever the price".
>
> Similarly, {ca vecnu je'u ta mi} means "I buy it now",
> it doesn't mean "I buy it whenever". In other words,
> {fi'o jdima} tags a price obvious from context or
> unimportant, it does not open the price slot to the
> whole hypothetical range of "whatever".

Can bai broda mean "with a certain known, understood level of compulsion"?
Which the context might imply is actually total freedom?

Why do you say tagging with fi'o jdima could mean the price is
unimportant? And yet if that's a possible interpretation, then it works
with that I originally said.

I was using it to mean sort of:
"I am aware it has a price; I certainly buy it anyway".

> >Physics geeks view almost everything in terms of functions. Is it that
> >viewpoint that disturbs you, or my Lojban rendering of it?
>
> It's your Lojban rendering. I'm quite comfortable with viewing
> things in terms of functions. I'm very confused about how
> to make sense of the place structure of {fancu}.

As far as I can tell:

le fancu: the name of the function
le selfancu: the independent variable, set or axis)
le terfancu: the dependent one, specified by the function
le velfancu: the actual relationship that specifies the function

And I use jei where previous folk have used ce'u-less ka when they want to
mean the quality of a particular sumti/tergismu pair.

--
The tao that can be tar(1)ed
is not the entire Tao.