Re: Anything but tautologies (was: Re: [jboske] Re: [lojban] tautologies

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Jorge Llambias wrote:

> la xod cusku di'e
>
> >do prenu fi'o rebla zo'e .i do prenu fi'o rebla noda .i la'edi'u cfipu fi
> >ma
>
> i le du'u le remei jufra cu natfe le pamei

.i ku'i noda rebla lo'e prenu .i ja'o .a'o zo'e rebla do

> >Anyway, whatever is in the 4th place of fancu needs to be interpreted as a
> >function. If I stick "1" in there, it can only mean a function that
> >returns "1" for all arguments, right? After all, if I had put "sin" in the
> >4th place, wouldn't that mean that the function was described by "sin"?
>
> You mean the word "sin"? zo sin? By analogy that would be a function
> that returns the word "sin" for every argument. But of course you
> don't mean the word "sin", the name of the function, you mean the
> sine function. In Lojban: le sinso ve fancu. (lo fancu is not a
> function, it is a word, a name. The place structure of fancu is
> really crazy.)

I understand about lo fancu. But surely in discourse, the lo fancu is a
symbol for (and substitutes for) its lo velfancu. What other purpose does
a name serve?

But back to the lo velfancu. I don't understand what's troubling you.
Given that we must interpret the lo velfancu as a function's expression,
what is wrong with attempting to stick a polynomial in there?

In a more general level, I think my Lojban has weaker type casting then
some of you, and this is a recurring issue. Lack of ambiguity is as far as
I feel we need to go in type strictness. Really, how many ways, for
instance, can "1" be interpreted, when the reader knows that it should be
interpreted as a function?

--
The tao that can be tar(1)ed
is not the entire Tao.