Re: Anything but tautologies (was: Re: [jboske] Re: [lojban] tautologies

la xod cusku di'e

Well, I wasn't using "1" as an analog for "f", but as a polynomial.
In other words, not its name, but its expression. So I don't see how the
confusion concerning f(x) is relevant.

The expression "x^2+x+1" is sometimes used to refer to the polynomial, and other times to refer to the value that the polynomial takes on for a given value in its domain. When we write f(x)=x^2+x+1, we mean sometimes that the function f(x) is the funtion x^2+x+1, and sometimes we mean that the value f(x) is equal to the value x^2+x+1. In other words, we use the same expression to refer to {lo te fancu} and to {lo ve fancu}. You are doing the same with {li pa}. It's a very widespread practice in mathematics, and it hardly ever leads to confusion, but it is the type of thing that Lojban takes pride in differentiating.

mu'o mi'e xorxes