Re: [lojban] Re: [jboske] RE: Anything but tautologies

la xod cusku di'e

"f(x)" and "x + 2" don't have any relationship except functionhood.

John is a person. "John" is the name of a person. My friend is a person. "My friend" is an expression used to refer to a person. My friend is John. "My friend" is not "John", they are different ways of referring to the same person.

f(x) is a function.
"f(x)" is a way of referring to a function.
x+2 is a function.
"x+2" is an expression used to refer to a function.
f(x)=x+2.
"f(x)" is not "x+2", they are different ways of referring
to the same function.

In Lojban, we say {la djan prenu} or {le mi pendo cu prenu}.
We might say {le mi pendo cu du la djan}, but we don't say
{la djan cu prenu le mi pendo} for "John is a person who
is my friend". We don't have any predicates (other than {du})
that have two places for the same argument. Apparently {fancu}
is the other exception, since x1 and x4 appear to be places
for the same argument. (The argument is NOT the referring
expression, the argument is the referent of the expression.)

The fancu2, 3 should refer to the axes or real quantities in question. But
these are sets, not single values.

So you say, but you don't follow your prescription. The last time you used {fancu} you wrote:

fancu ro velvecnu le jei mi tervecnu kei lipa
For every price, the truth value of whether or not I buy it is unity.

You had each price as x2, and truth values as x3. You did not have a set of prices in x2 nor a set of truth values in x3. You were using it (with respect to x2 and x3) the way I say it should be used.

mu'o mi'e xorxes