Re: [jboske] Quantifiers, Existential Import, and all that stuff

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:

> (Of course we could get into philosophical hot water if we debate whether
> "not all" = "less than all" if "all" refers to something that does not
> exist, but I'll leave that to someone else %^).

It seems like the definition of "not" is arbitrary, unless it is bounded
by some condition (in the same sense that the identity element is). In
which case it's a matter of agreeing to use a selected definition of
"not" which seems useful.

--
When a system is in harmony with the Tao,
the compiler makes applications and utilities.