Re: [jboske] New Ontology

Nice! I have a couple of comments though.

Any x in the real world is one of the following ontological types:

I take it this means "any x as broda". The same x as brode could be of a different ontological type, right?

2. Non-atoms: things that may meaningfully be said to be composed of
parts. These subdivide into:

2A. Wholes (what I formerly called atoms): Things where, for any
sectioning of the entity into parts, either no part is broda (perfect
whole), or at most one part is broda (chipped whole).

For example, da poi remna

2B. Stuff: Entities of which no part is a whole.

For example, da poi djacu

2C. Groups: Entities of which at least one part is a whole.

At least one part of x as broda is a whole as broda? Examples? I'm not sure groups are ontological types in this sense.

These ontological types may be conceptualised in three ways, and this
is reflected on the outer quantifier (and, 'redundantly', lo/loi).
These are the Counting Types.

i. Individuals: instances singled out of a cardinality of things.
(That an Individual of Stuff should be physically separate is
probably a pragmatic default (spisa), because it is idiosyncratic
when applied to numbers --- which are stuff, in that they do
meaningfully have parts in a non-Platonic conceptualisation.)

Yes, instances taken one by one: each human being, each amount of water, etc.

ii. Collectives/Masses: instances described not by overt
counting/quantification, but by describing the size of a portion and
the number of bits from which the portion is formed. This is the
lojbanmass, and includes my former Collective and Substance (what And
calls Bit of Substance). This is what "an amount of" refers to in the
gismu list.

I would have said "individuals taken together" for collective, rather than "one by one". A collective of human beings is not the same thing as a portion of a human being, whereas a collective of amounts of water is similar to (or the same as) a portion of (another) amount of water. You'd have to clarify what it is that you're taking portions of. The procedure seems to be:

* for wholes, take every individual and collectivize, then
take portions of the collective with bits corresponding
to the original individuals.
* for stuff, define bits appropriately for the context, then
collectivize those bits and take portions of the collective.

Maybe this is what you meant, I'm not sure.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail