An idea.

Just a random thought that crossed my mind: (some portion of)
certification dues could be put in a pot to help defray logfest
costs, and the reward for passing the (harder, more expensive)
higher level certs could be getting money out of that pot.

(on the theory that people who come to logfest tend to come back; no
idea if that's actually true or not :)

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm  thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something