Re: Lojban Certification Program

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Pierre Abbat <phma@phma.optus.nu> wrote:

> I think we need to distinguish between words that the testee needs to know the
> meaning of to answer the question right, and words that he just needs to
> recognize the form of.

Yes, good point.

> For instance, here's a question:
>
> ro _____ cu smani
> A. cimpanzi
> B. tcimpanzi
> C. tcimpazi
> D. timpanzi
> E. ctimpanzi
>
> The testee does not need to know the word for "chimpanzee" beforehand. He
> does, though, need to know the meanings of "panzi" and "smani" (though he
> could probably guess the latter), in order to reject the assertion that all
> wet offspring or weather-offspring are monkeys.

That's a good one, but for the second or third level. I wouldn't test
anything concerning fu'ivla for the first level.

> I think that 500 words that the testee needs to know is too many for the first
> level. But 500 words that he needs to recognize is not. So this question
> would be fine for first level:
>
> mi cpacu _____ jaspu le jansu
> A. lo
> B. pu
> C. goi
> D. do
> E. nai
>
> even though the testee may not know what "jaspu" and "jansu" mean.

I agree. As for this specific question, I would not include "nai"
among the incorrect optons, just because there is a proposal to make
it grammatical in that context, and we can easily offer some other
incorrect option instead ("na" or "cu", for instance.) Other than
that, I would say that's a fine question for the first level.

mu'o mi'e xorxes