[lojban-beginners] Re: Robin's Tagline

Jan Pilgenroeder wrote:
> coi filip.
>
> > coi .ian do cusku di'e
> >> .i ki'a lu cridrnoma li'u
> >> .i xu lu cridrnoma li'u fu'ivla
> >
> > .i go'i .i zo cridrnoma cu fu'ivla fi le glibau zoi gy. gnome .gy.
>
>  From the place-structure of "valsi", shouldn't "zoi gy.
> gnome .gy" not go into the X2 place of fu'ivla instead of into X4?:

The place structure of lujvo cannot, in general, be predicted from the place
structure of the brivla on which it is based. You have to look them up.

(In many cases, people try to make the place structure predictable; this is
the "seljvajvo" or "dikyjvo" movement. But you can't rely on it.)

I went by the definition in NORALUJV.txt:

fu'ivla                        fukpi+valsi:  loan-word:   x1 = valsi1 (word)
= fukpi1 (copy), x2 = valsi2 (word meaning ), x3 = valsi3 (word language ),
x4 = fukpi2 (copied)

which I took to mean "x1 is a word meaning x2, copied from word x4 in
original language x3".

And the meaning is not {zoi gy. gnome .gy} but some description in Lojban;
"gnome" is the original word which was copied.

(In retrospect, x3 "word language" should probably be "la lojban." here,
i.e. the target language,  and x4 I'm not whether it should be "le glibau"
[source language] or "zoi gy. gnome .gy." [source word].)

> > (Question: Are both of {.i xu lu cridrnoma li'u fu'ivla}
> > and {.i xu zo cridrnoma fu'ivla} equally acceptable?)
>
> I don't see how any of the two would be less acceptable, well except
> "zo" is just much more elegant.

I can imagine they might mean different things. Which is mostly why I asked.

> >> co'o mi'e .ian
> >
> > No need to say goodbye quite so soon! :)
>
> If I close with "mu'o" instead of "co'o" , does this imply I should
> leave out "coi" in my next mail (unless I greet someone I have not
> specifically greeted yet)?

What I meant was that the mail was not over yet -- you were still saying
things. So it would have been better IMO to leave the co'o (or fe'o, or
mu'o, or whatever) to the end of the mail (not just the end of the Lojban
portion of it).

mu'omi'e filip.
--
filip.niutyn. <Philip.Newton@datenrevision.de>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.