[lojban-beginners] Re: Some translations

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 03:01:35PM -0500, Invent Yourself wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 09:08:26AM -0600, ?lvaro Vallejo wrote:
> > > coi rodo
> > >
> > > mi nitcu cu fanva ti glivla la lojban
> > > (I need to translate into Lojban the following words, is the utterance in
> > > Lojban right?)
> >
> > Sorry, but not even close.  Other people have worked on the grammar.
> > I would like to point out that nitcu is a moderately in-appropriate
> > word in this case, unless you're going to fill the x3.  djica seems
> > better.
>

> I don't understand why the x3 of nitcu would be apriori more critical
> than any other place of any other brivla.

Because if someone says "mi nitcu" I, for one, assume the process that
is intended to continue (see the x3 of nitcu) is their life.  Same as
"mi nanca" (with or without jai).  Since djica is available, this is not
an unreasonable assumption.

> However, in this case, its value is clear: his book.

It's clear *now*, but it wasn't mentioned at all until two mails later.

-Robin

--
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/    ***    I'm a *male* Robin.
.i le pamoi velru'e zo'u crepu le plibu taxfu