Some comparative translations 'n' stuff

The following is an edited transcript of a thread between me (la banresperanto.
nik) and lojbab (la bob. lecevalier.). Basically, I translated a sonnet in
Esp I had written in April '88 into English, then into Interglossa (a
language with restricted syntax and vocab), and sent it off to lojbab to
see what he made of it. Whys and wherefores follow. Hope you find this
instructive. Btw, I look forward to a bright future when it won't be just
la bob. lecevalier. je la djan. ko'an je ju'ocu'i la noras. lecevalier.
who can answer these queries. Of course, I should be ultimately able to
answer this stuff myself, but lojban-learning seems to me (after three
hours of it) a very long-term project.

> [...]
>few gismu roots with more than 1 or 2 rhymes.)  lujvo won't be much easier,
>either, since they are composed of affixes, which will be the same for
>similar meaning words, etc.  This makes (I presume) for boring poetry.
>If you don't insist on sentence or phrase breaks at line breaks, you might be
>able to play games with cmavo, especially by adding in non-required
>but permitted ones to make rhythm and rhyme match - but again this seems
>aesthetically displeasing.  Finally, with no idiom, Lojban is usually
>more in syllable count for the same semantics, though I was surprised to
>find my Vega trans. comparable in syllable counts with the other ILs, though
>more than English - sughgesting that a sonnet originally in Espo may be
>easier than one in English.
>
>Almost all of Helsem's stuff is free verse only slightly more regular than
>Vega.  He does pay attention to sounds, but not to get rhyme etc (and of
>course is totally of the wall in grammar still - you'll see an
>example when the stuff gets there).  The best that has been done so far
>in regular poetry ois limericks.
>
>Both Helsem and Athelstan think Skaldic poetry is a promising idea for
>Lojban, since it uses alliteration and half-rhymes and elaborate
>metaphor.  THAT is more within the reach of Lojban.
>
>-lojbab

>To: lojbab@snark.thyrsus.com (Bob LeChevalier)
>Subject: A sonnet in time saves rhyme (?!)
>Date: Fri, 15 Mar 91 10:51:57 +1000
>
>>I didn't look closely at your sonnets, but if they are indeed true
>>sonnets with iambic or whatever feet and specific rhyming schemes,
>>i'll almost certainly be out of my depth to translate it quickly.
>
>No, no. All I wanted was a prose translation (well, free verse), to check
>out whether the decisions that have to be made in translating into Interglossa
>are in any way analogous to those for translation into lojban. Though if
>you want to go skaldic or Welsh or otherwise alliterative, go ahead. Thanks
>for the info, anyway. Lujvo might not be that bad (not that I know what
>they look like); they might have an effect similar to biblical parallelism.
>You can add in more cmavos than you might think: in formal translation,
>meaning is usually, shall we say, extended. The syllable count doesn't
>really matter, either - Esp suffers similarly, and when an Espist translates
>English iambic pentameter into the Esp kvinjambo (11 syllables), what was
>leisurely sounds tense and selfconscious, precisely because we play
>shrinking games with our cmavos. So in translating, if you're going to be
>metrical (and it sounds like lojban won't end up this way), by all means
>pick a more expansive metre, like an alexandrine. But lojban and Esp may
>well be in the same boat. The conciseness of English is by no means a
>universal trait of NLs. I'm not as familiar with Greek translations from
>English as I should be, but I do know some stretching has to take place.

I meant gismu, btw. Or maybe rafsi.

>But all I want is free verse, to check out how the semantics gets mapped
>in more detail. The only reason I chose verse is because it is, believe
>it or not, the easiest form of writing for an AL. Esp *still* hasn't produced
>convincing drama, which relies on the development on colloquialism. And
>compared to technical writing, poetry does not demand much lexical experiment-
>ation or coinage. Evocation is another matter, but still... I found myself
>being struck by some cmavos I was looking at as sensual, before I realised
>I was reading in Anglo connotations. But klaku is sure to be used in ways
>different than plori or weep.

>Date: Sat, 16 Mar 91 17:34 EST
>From: lojbab@snark.thyrsus.com (Bob LeChevalier)
>Subject: Re:  A sonnet in time saves rhyme (?!)
>
>Following is your desired translation; I got into it the next day to do
>a prose version.  I did the jerusalem of new jerusalem as a le'avla borrowing
>rather than a name, so you can see what one of them looks like - it has an
>affix indicating that it is in some way related to 'city' concept, followed
>by a Lojbanization of the word 'Jerusalem' and forced to end with a vowel.
>This is only an approximation of the rules, though, which are not that
>clearly understood (we know what >doesn't work< but not what does very well.
>
>Now on rereading your sonnet, I noticed that you did not have either
>rhyme or meter obvious in the Interglossa, and of course the English
>translation of each is different.  This suggests that Interglossa is
>less expressive than English if it is not able to come close enough
>to the Esperanto to have a reasonably common English translation for the
>duo.  Lojban on the other hand, is sufficiently flexible.  Thus, ignoring
>rhyme and meter myself, and being literal where you used figurative metaphor
>(we can go figurative with explicit marking but this is uncool in poetry -
>if you have to mark it, it ain't fair, I am matching your English almost
>exactly in style, content, and expression order (except when it was obvious
>that the English din't quite track the Esperanto word order, so I matched
>the Esperanto - I much prefer translating these things if you give
>more explicit word-for-words of the Esperanto as well as the more colloquial
>English).

Sorry about that. I don't know about 'expressibility', but IG syntax is
restrictive. I'm still somewhat intimidated by the games people can
apparently play with the ordering of sumti...

> [...]
>   noi ba se sfasa cu gasnu co jamna le nalselgu'i)
>> not-according-to Time-point, during the duration.)
>non-pertained-to-by Time-of-Day-Point, which are-during of Time-Interval.
>

>Wheee!!!  That was FUUUUUUUUUN; boy what a truly weird language.  No,
>Lojban is NOT much like Interglossa.  When we say there is no
>distinction between nouns, verbs, and adjectives, we MEAN it.  We don't
>mark each usage of a word to say what kind it is.  Pardon some humorous
>touches in the translation; you presumably see them in my English
>phrasing.  (Of course, I realize some of this may be your non-fluency
>with Interglossa, but the humor to me transcended such a possibility.
>In any case, you can clearly see that I captured the two distinct styles
>of the language, probably better than the English can.  Note that I
>translated the capitalized words, where possible, as masses, to
>distinguish them from other places where Lojban constructs are noun-like
>but the Interglossa was NOT capitalized.  This convention actually
>seemed to fit the meaning quite well, but further strangifies the
>English.  Note that I have no real idea of the significance of
>capitalization except as conveyed through your English.
>
>Consider reposting this to lojban-list with any commentary you wish to
>add before (quotes from your previous to me, and my initial response?)
>or after (commentary on the travesty I made of your poem).
>
>To: lojbab@snark.thyrsus.com (Bob LeChevalier)
>Subject: Re: Textbook distribution
>Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 10:31:23 +1000
>

>Thank you very much for the translations. I'll shove 'em on the list after a
>coupla days. Glad to know you had that much fun %^)
>
>>Now on rereading your sonnet, I noticed that you did not have either
>>rhyme or meter obvious in the Interglossa, and of course the English
>>translation of each is different.  This suggests that Interglossa is
>>less expressive than English if it is not able to come close enough
>>to the Esperanto to have a reasonably common English translation for the
>>duo.
>
>Interglossa has a very limited vocabulary, and should cut down on the syntactic
>templates available. Parsing it is hard, and in Hogben's original book, the
>Biblical translations with their simple syntax are fine; but English prose
>and legalese, even though the latter was significantly simplified syntactically,
>were incomprehensible in translation.
>
>>Lojban on the other hand, is sufficiently flexible.  Thus, ignoring
>>rhyme and meter myself, and being literal where you used figurative metaphor
>
>Actually, I was hoping you could come up with something nice for metaphors
>such as 'blind faith'. I'm not sure whether this anglo metaphor is pan-european
>enough to be tolerated in Espo; I suspect it is.
>
>>> (Happy are those who have already seen God;
>>Happy, they-unspecified, which in-the-past-actually-did Jehovah-see
>
>Hm. No parsing problem in linking the disjunct 'Happy' to the 'they-unspec'?

In fact, to bring in a parethesis, there is a massive history to the verb
to be used corresponding to Happy. It alludes, of course, to the Sermon
On The Mount. Now here are some distinct types of happiness:

English		Esperanto		Greek (Modern)
Fortunate	Felicxa			Eutuxhs, Eutuxismenos
Pleased		(Kontenta)		Euxaristhmenos
Happy		Gaja			Xaroumenos
Joyful		Gxoja			(can't think of one)
Blissful	(Sengxena)		Makarios (cf. Latin Beatus)

The Esp has 'Fortunate' because this makes the link between cause of
happiness and the happiness explicit: Gxojas tiuj, kiuj... would sound
like their joy was incidental to their seeing God. It would be even
worse with Gajas tiuj, kiuj... which reads somewhat like "Those who
have seen God are running around smiling".

But the original Greek had Makarioi, and the Latin translation has
Beati. Admittedly some semantics would have been influenced by the
Church's use of the term; but Oi Makarioi Nhsoi, the Isles of Bliss,
the late-pagan-Greek equivalent of heaven, predates Christian theology
(I think). What this implies to me is that Christ meant something along
the lines of 'They will have no worries, no disquiet', not 'they will
run around smiling' (Happy) or 'they will run around hurrahing' (Joyful)
or 'they will say "ain't we lucky"' (Fortunate, Pleased).

Does le lojban distinguish between these happinesses (it doesn't have to,
and I've heard SapirWhorfish mumbles against such distinctions), and
which would it have picked here? Oh well. Back to translations.

> [...]

>It's value must be detemrined by contextual plausibility.  Lojban has more
>kinds of explicit ellipsis than most languages, and evry sentence inherently
>has some ellipsis, else it would be infinitely long.
>
>In relative clauses, the first ellipsis is usually the relativeized argument
>but there could be exceptions.  Usually if there is any plausible reason
>for doubt, the speaker/writer will use an explicit relative pronoun in the
>argument place to relate.  (You could even put it in twice as in the lojban
>for:  mary liked John, who (he) had introduced her to (his) wife)
>You can be as specific as necessary for clarity.
>
>You can nest relative clauses ad nauseum, and some Lojban sentences
>translating relatively simple English sentences with hidden logical
>structure, seem to have a lot of nesting.  Abstractors are even more
>ofte nested (lenu event clauses being the kind you see most because they
>are the most common that are equivalnet to an English structure)
>
>>earlier/much earlier
>these are ambiguous pronoun references - again plausibility takes a role.
>ra is something BEFORE the last argument, and ru is something before that.
>However, the joke of this passage is that since I didn't assign the
>referent (the people) to a pronoun, each successive reference is a bit further
>back relative to the current sentence.  It thus was a tutorial in the
>Lojban back-referencing anaphora, (probably instructive in what NOT to do
>though most people who know the rules will figure it out right away - you
>certainly wouldn;t do this in speech, though.  People just can't count
>back in their heads.)  There are several different ways to back-reference
>more clearly, and in something written originally in Lojban, I would have
>used another means, but again I was going for a match with the original
>which used highly ambiguous 'it's.  So I did too, though not quite as ambiguous.
>
>Which is more elphantine?
>
>Don't understand this question.  If you mean length, you can see for yourself.
>A good deal of length was added by my modelling the IG compound verbs, but
>its still rathe rtrivial.  I just see both language as QUITE different from
>each other andf from Lojban.
>
>Parsing
>
>Parsing determines the exact syntactic role of everything in L:ojban, but most
>sentence are simple enough to parse in your head.  The grammar is LALR1 for the
>most part (we have to fool YACC in a couple of places), and real people look
>far more than one token ahead to detemrine syntactical structures, so Lojban
>is only difficult when things nest recursively to a degree that it upset the
>mental stack (I've heard most people can keep no more than 7 things on the
>mental stack, and 'creative Lojban' can exceed this easily).
>
>I'm posting a treat for you to lojban-list. MY own first poem in Lojbna,
>wioth rhyme, rhythm and everything.  Consider yourself an inspriation.

la banresperanto. nik. (should that be ban,repseranto? I keep wondering how
to distinguish le'avla from lujvo.) is turning out to be making more
trouble in Lojbanland (jbonat) than he first suspected. Vicious me. I'll
say something about the translations of La Espero and le se vaiciska be
le lojbab ku (is that anything *near* "Bob's masterpiece"?) later.

Yrs, etc,

Nick S. Nicholas,			"Rode like foam on the river of pity
Depts. of CompSci & ElecEng,  		 Turned its tide to strength
University of Melbourne, Australia.	 Healed the hole that ripped in living"
nsn@{mullian.ee|mullauna.cs|ecr}.mu.oz.au     -	S. Vega, Book Of Dreams