[lojban] Re: Reasoning by analogy

Jacob Thomas Errington <jake@mail.jerrington.me> writes:

> I just use camxes. Perhaps the CLL doesn't allow fi'o clauses as
> sentence connectives due to a limitation in the parser (it would
> require too much lookahead, maybe?) Camxes essentially allows
> unlimited lookahead.

AFAIK, the latest official grammar is grammar.300.  All those PEG
grammars are unofficial, as I understand.  The PEG grammars may
introduce new features (such as full "tag"s where "simple-tag"s used to
be), but that introduces the question of WHICH grammar is being used.
Whenever you ask whether something is grammatical, you must specify:
grammatical with respect to which (official or experimental) grammar?

That said, it would be VERY nice if "tag"s replaced all the
"simple-tag"s in the grammar.  It would also be nice if cmavo of NAhE
could be joined by joiks/jeks.  Lojban has several asymetries like this
which could be resolved by adopting a new official grammar.

>    The usual strategy to interpret a {fi'o} clause is to rearrange to
>    make its selbri the top-level selbri. For example, I would interpret
>    {mi fi'o simsa do se bangu lo lojbo} as
>
>       mi do simsa lo ka lo lojbo cu bangu
>       + a claim that {mi se bangu lo lojbo}

I still think you're mis-stating this.  I think what you mean to
describe is {mi fi'o simsa BO do se bangu lo lojbo}.  However, modal
connections between sumti are not allowed in grammar.300.  They might be
allowed in a camxes-like grammar.  (I haven't checked.)

Still, even if grammatical, this wouldn't imply any different (or
updated) interpretation of modal tags than appears in CLL.  I would
still interpret {jai fi'o gasnu fe'u broda} as {jai gau broda}.  The
strange constructs appear when you use {fi'o} clauses as tenses, i.e.:

  .i ti fi'o bredi fe'u cutci

As I understand it, this would mean:

  .i ti cutci
  .i bredi lonu go'i

This would be the interpretation of modal tags as explained in the CLL.
What I think you're saying is that {fi'o} tags are just allowed in more
places (in PEG grammars) than they used to be (in YACC), not that there
are necessarily any new interpretations of what a modal tag means.