Subject: Re: mine, thine, hisn, hern, itsn ourn, yourn and theirn (was[lojban] si'o)

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 01:24:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Nick NICHOLAS wrote:

> Oh my God.
>
> There is only one explanation for this, which is that Lojban Central
> wanted normal sumti, and not just numbers, to be ordinals.
>
> So you can say the apple-th man, or the I-am-going-to-the-store-th
> instance of insubordination.

I think it's a wonderfully powerful construction! I'm actively glad you
brought this to my attention! This is another way we can compress facts
out of selbri into cmavo. Good thing. Elegant. Tasty.

-----
"It is not enough that an article is new and useful. The Constitution
never sanctioned the patenting of gadgets. [...] It was never the object
of those laws to grant a monopoly for every trifling device, every
shadow of a shade of an idea, which would naturally and spontaneously
occur to any skilled mechanic or operator in the ordinary progress of
manufactures." -- Supreme Court Justice Douglas, 1950