Subject: RE: [lojban] Snowballs in hell was Re: mine, thine

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:55:56 -0400

>{xel.} to me is the abode of the dead, or its deity, not specifically the
>lake of fire, which is {ge'iNOM.}. The latter word can also refer to the
>Hinnom Valley Incinerator, which wouldn't have been a good place for
>snowballs either. Using {xel.} for {ge'iNOM.} is malglico. (If anyone is
>better informed about Hel in Norse mythology, please correct me.)

Hell, the English word, refers to the English idea about Hell.

But you wanted the norse version, so here it is. Hel is not the abode of the
dead. It is the deity. Half of her is the most beautiful woman ever, half is
a rotting corpse. Which half, or even whether she's split vertically or
horizontally, is not clarified.
She rules Nifhelheim (also transliterated other ways, most often Niffelheim,
I don't speak any scandinavian languages so I dont know which is best.), the
land of both gnomes (also called dark elves) and those who die while not in
battle. A snowball has a reasonable chance in Hel (unlike the English idea
of Hell) because, for the most part at least, it's just cold enough to be
unpleasant... and this according to people who lived in Scandinavia.

Information from the ultimate written authority on norse myths, the Edda.

--la kreig.daniyl.

'segu le bavli temci gi mi'o renvi lo purci
.i ga le fonxa janbe gi du mi'
-la djimis.BYFet

xy.sy. gubmau ckiku nacycme: 0x5C3A1E74