Subject: Re: Retraction &c, Part 2

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 19:48:29 -0700

cu'u la xorxes.

>> .i mi basna ledu'u mi ca melu ga'inai li'u tavlai
>> .imu'ibo do ki'u da'i sruma ledu'u mi ctuca tavla; ki'u lenu mi pu
lifri lo
>> panra be tu'a do

>I'm not sure how to interpret that {ki'u le nu}. As it stands
>it is a reason for {mi ctuca tavla}, if you add a {kei} it would
>be a reason for {do sruma}. It makes most sense as a reason
>for {da'i}, but it can't be.

My wrong: I probably should have put in a {kei}, but in hindsight I think
it should be {mu'i}, and without the {kei}.

>> ni'o di'a lenu mi cmima le lojbo cecmu kei mi co'a cmima le
>>bangrtlingana cecmu

>Is that meant to be {ca le nu mi de'a cmima le lojbo cecmu}?

Yup. I'm being experimental too. :-)

>> .i roda poi mi pinka ciska zo'u: mi ciska da mu'i lenu mi na
>>curmydji lenu
>> leka tolpajvrude cu pe'a nalvasxu catra basti leka pajvrude

>>I vaguely understand that sentence, but I don't really get
>>the {nalvasxu catra}. I'm also not certain whether {tolpajvrude}
>>is {to'e pajvrude} or {tolspaji vrude} (I guess the first).

Original: "for I shall not tolerate Injustice choking Justice". I am
remembering the old rafsi (because when I'd coined the lujvo, we had the
old rafsi), and this should have been {tolpairvu'e}, or better, {to'e
pairvu'e}.

>> .i mi pu pindi gi'e se jibri lo selfu gi'e vecnu loi xirma gi'e se
cuntu
>> so'i drata jibri
>> mu'i lenu mi pleji le se dejni be lemi patfu be'o
>> poi loi zercpa cu dejnygau ku'o
>> .e lenu mi ji'a cmima le vi cecmu
>> ca'o lenu le fuzme se jbera befi la cevni cu se vasru lemi xadni

>I don't understand how {e le nu mi ji'a cmima ...} fits with the
>rest. It falls in the x2 of pleji, which seems strange, but I
>can't place it anywhere else.

Forgot the {kei}. mu'i lenu... kei .e lenu...

>I don't understand what {le fuzme
>se jbera be fi la cevni} is either.

That which was loaned (in responsibility)by God (and is contained in my
body). i.e., that which God has lent me as a trust. i.e., my soul.

****

Damn.

I mean, I make it a point of pride to rattle off Lojban from memory,
because I'm meant to have learnt it. And I choose never to machine parse
it, because if I do, then the grammar is not human-learnable. And so I keep
grammar and vocab lookups to a minimum.

And it isn't working.

This is quite sobering...

Nick Nicholas, TLG, UCI, USA. [email-masked] www.opoudjis.net
"Most Byzantine historians felt they knew enough to use the optatives
correctly; some of them were right." --- Harry Turtledove.