Subject: Re: mine, thine, hisn, hern, itsn ourn, yourn and theirn (was[lojban] si'o)

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 04:01:17

la nitcion cusku di'e

>Well then. I still think it's butt-ugly, but it's not as insane* as I first
>thought. (For 'insane', read 'ill-motivated, capricious, and
>unformalisable'.)

Thanks! :)

>Oh, one more thing? If this is how you do it, then I don't think sumti are
>indexes, but quoted words are.

No! It's the sumti. I don't wat to index Alice's hand with the
word "Alice", I want to index it with the little girl who has
a hand. (The indexing does not have to be one-to-one, btw. Just
as there can be two 7ths, there can be two of Alice's hands.)

>But {mi} am not a {tcita}; {zo mi} is
>a {tcita}.

No, {zo mi} is a tcita of you, but the thing used to single out
what's yours is you, not the word {mi}.

>Just like it's not {lo cimei} that's doing the labelling in {ci
>moi}, but {li ci}, the abstraction.

But {li ci} is not {zo ci}. The thing used to select is the number,
not its name.

>la .oslos. me [zo/le] gugdrnorge moi le'i trutca
>leka ganai ce'u ny.moi vo'e vo'i gi ce'u trutca [la'eny./ny.]
>
>I don't know if that {leka ce'u se tructa} will work for "'ordinal' label
>of this capital is the country of which this is the capital" ---
>particularly with that nasty recursion I slipped in there with {vo'i}. If
>it doesn't, xorxes, I think the responsibility is yours to find a
>{ce'u}-expression that will; and only then can I accept this as a
>legitimate expansion of {moi} (which I still won't use. :-) ). Because you
>are not inimical to formalisation, I think you will...

I'm certainly not inimical, on the contrary, I'm very much in favour.
But I don't get what you're doing with the ganai...gi..., I would say:

la oslos me le norgo moi lei tcadu le ka ce'u trutca makau
Oslo is Norway-th among cities ordered (indexed) by whose
capital they are.

The point of the construction though is to avoid filling the x2
and x3. Otherwise we would just say {la oslos cu trutca le norgo}.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp