Subject: Induction

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 17:54:34 -0400 (EDT)

How do we express logical induction in Lojban? In Cowan's explanation why
certain gismu were dropped, he writes

didni deduce replaced by lujvo using logji = logic

logji seems to refer to the rules that permit deduction, whereas nibli
refers to the facts that are deduced.

What about induction? In the list of slaughtered gismu, it shows

nusna induction x1 induces x2 about x3 from specific facts x4

And in Cowan's reasons

nusna induction who knows what "induction" is?

-----

The Book reads:

"...whereas ``su'a'' suggests some sort of induction or pattern
recognition from existing examples (not necessarily rigorous). The
opposite point of the scale, ``su'anai'', indicates abduction, or drawing
specific conclusions from general premises or patterns."

What is the difference between abduction and deduction?

Does this means that induction = sucta, and deduction = nibli ~= tolsucta?

-----
"It is not enough that an article is new and useful. The Constitution
never sanctioned the patenting of gadgets. [...] It was never the object
of those laws to grant a monopoly for every trifling device, every
shadow of a shade of an idea, which would naturally and spontaneously
occur to any skilled mechanic or operator in the ordinary progress of
manufactures." -- Supreme Court Justice Douglas, 1950