Subject: Re: [lojban] The Knights who forgot to say "ni!"

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:53:49

la pycyn cusku di'e

> > I know that they are _defined_ as
> > quantity and truth value, but they are _used_ only as property
> > and proposition.
>
>And why do we pay attention to (in some cases deliberate) misuse? "Let 
>usage
>decide" only applies to Lojban usage, not Nalgol.

This particular "misuse" is sanctioned by the Codex, which
has examples for both the definitional senses of {ni} and {jei},
and for their usage senses. The definitional sense is never
used in practice (except perhaps {jei} by And).

I never use {jei} because I find {du'u xukau} perfectly
satisfactory. In the case of {ni} the matter is less clear,
but even the gi'uste has many places marked as (ka/ni).

In any case, it is something that does need paying attention to.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp