Subject: RE: [lojban] Another stab at a Record on ce'u

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:56:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, And Rosta wrote:

> > i. ce'u makes sense in li'i as well as du'u and ka.
>
> Actually, I don't think so. Does "li'i da -rain" [bugger. tip of the
> tongue. carmi?cevni? no] (= experience of it raining) make sense. I
> think it does. So I think "experience of having legs" is NOT
> "li'i ce'u se tuple" but rather "li'i le se NO'AU se tuple", where
> NO'AU = next outer phrase (regardless of whether it is a bridi) = a
> sibling of NO'A.

li'i ce'u klama
experience of going

li'i ce'u xelklama
experience of being a vehicle

etc.

> > b. ka and du'u are interchangeable if there is at least one ce'u.
>
> I don't dare make statements about ka. Too hazardous.

This is an inocuous, uncontroversial statement, issued by John Cowan many
days ago, to which I have seen no dispute.

> > c. In kambroda lujvo, the ce'u is in the first place.
>
> Meaning "brodahood"?

Yup.

> > d. si'o implicitly fills up all the places with ce'u.
>
> Yes.
>
> > But outside of si'o, all empty places are zo'e.
>
> Again, with the exception of ka, unless and until consensus is agreed
> on workable conventions for it.

This is a proposal for writing, from now on. All writers really should
start putting in ce'us wherever they need them.

-----
"It is not enough that an article is new and useful. The Constitution
never sanctioned the patenting of gadgets. [...] It was never the object
of those laws to grant a monopoly for every trifling device, every
shadow of a shade of an idea, which would naturally and spontaneously
occur to any skilled mechanic or operator in the ordinary progress of
manufactures." -- Supreme Court Justice Douglas, 1950